only MY child.

Last week the kids’ school picture proofs came in.
I don’t love school pictures but I get them just to have them,
they get tucked away in their memory boxes.
Caleb, Tessa and Eden all took good pictures.

Then I saw Jonah’s.

I sent him to school in a spring-y plaid shirt-
he looks good in green.

At some point that day
(prior to picture taking)
he decided to unbutton his shirt,
and on his white undershirt he used his markers to draw a Superman logo on his chest.
For bonus points he gave himself the “superman curl” on his forehead.
Then posed like any superhero would…
 photo jonah5thgradepic.jpg
At first I was annoyed…
I couldn’t help but wonder how come no adults said something to him,
like BUTTON YOUR SHIRT BACK UP?

Tessa informed me that “there are picture retakes, he can retake it.”
I considered that, but then I decided:
this picture is SO Jonah and I want to remember this,
so I’m buying the package

and this is how he’s going to look forever in the yearbook.

Comments

1. Anna says:

That is pure awesome right there.

2. Abbey Spain says:

I got the biggest chuckle out of this story! My son is 3 yrs old and beyond super hero obsessed! I could see my Alex going to school and doing something like this when he is older! Your right though…. Why get mad? Our kids are who they are and someday you will all laugh about that picture when he is graduating and you put it on a poster board. I love this picture! I think it’s fantastic! Made my day :)

3. momto3boys says:

This definitely looks like something my oldest (closer to Caleb’s age) would do! He’s all about creating “his” own look.

4. Michelle White says:

I love this! Such a good memory when he gets older. I love the more candid shots of my kids that really show who they were at that time and who they become. :)

5. Leah S says:

I am so glad you bought these! This is a priceless reminder of how good childhood really is!!!

6. Melissa says:

Oh yeah My son has sabotaged his pictures before!! -he was rolling his eyes and frowning. I can’t wait to show his kids one day what a stinker he was!!!

7. Christa says:

My son did this too!! Only he threw a fit until he could wear his Superman shirt under his button up.
    We told him to keep it buttoned up for pictures but that did not happen. He is in Kindergarten…

8. Tabitha says:

This is great and will be fabulous blackmail in the future! I can totally see my nephews doing this!

9. Melissa McCracken says:

One year my son decided to wear a names brand logo T-shirt which I despise for pictures especially, but the icing on the cake was that he had a girls phone number written on the front of his hand!!! I was furious that the photographer or an adult didn’t switch his hand position make him wash it off! I too bought the package however I called the photographer and complain and they did a touch up on his hand (not a good job but they did make an effort at no extra charge)

10. Jenn says:

I think it ‘s a terrific picture, and am glad you are keeping the photos.

11. Christine Olivera says:

As a mother I would at first be a bit annoyed but thinking of it this is VERY original and a great memory to have! Hopefully he will always stand apart from the crowd and leave an original impression of his special personality! I would not retake the pictures!

12. Angie says:

My middle one brought home a picture in which she just stared at the camera. I said “Why didn’t you smile?” She said they didn’t tell me to! Typical Gracie. I kept it.

13. Lisa says:

I absolutely adore this story!! I love sitting around the table listening to my grandparents tell stories about my dad and all the crazy things he did as a young boy, as do I love hearing my in-laws tell me of all the nutty things my husband did. So on behalf of your future daughter-in-law and grandchildren…Thank You!! All bets say they request hearing this story over and over and over and….

14. Lisa says:

There is only one word to describe your son: AWESOME! You are obviously doing a good job mom!

15. Wendy says:

One year my son borrowed someones glasses for his school photo. Little did he know that photo would be on his ID throughout his high school years. I was angry but then extremely happy for the memory. It has been over 10 years.

16. Jo Ellen Wagner says:
  17. Pat says:

Love it!

18. Jana says:

Lol…..love it. What did he have to say when the pictures came out? I agree awesome blackmail :-)

19. Tracy says:

So funny!! I am glad that you are keeping them. :)

20. JANE says:

Best picture EVER

21. Gabriela Divine says:

I loved the hair curl for added bonus! So glad you bought this particular portrait package. You are one insightful and awesome mother.

22. Donna says:

He’s EPIC!!!
    100% living by his rules!!
    No harm with it!

23. Robbie says:

This will become one of your most treasured pictures as it shows “who” he really feele he is at this stage and age of his life.Simply adorable ;) !!!

24. ellie says:

i<3 this!
    (i have a jonah of my own!)

25. Julie B. says:

I love it!! I think this is going to be one of your most treasured childhood mementos of him :)

26. Sandy says:

That is awesome!

27. Noemi says:

I LOVE this story, he is TOTALLY awesome!!

28. Melissa Armstrong says:

Priceless

29. Amber says:

I love it! It shows his confidence and creativity!

30. Carole says:

This will go down in family history as awesome!! I love it. What a great kid!

31. Jenny says:

LOVE this! It’s funny and creative all at the same time! What a great memory!

32. diana says:

Classic!

33. Beth Paul says:

That’s so totally Jonah!! Please tell him we miss him and Madi says “HI!” (PS: my personal favorite t-shirt of Jonah’s has to be the “Satan is a Nerd”. Love that one. Classic.

34. Linda says:

Way to go mom! I think it is fantastic that your son is creative enough & confident enough to pull off what he did! This is truly a compliment to you for a job well done!! Kudos to you both! Although you may cringe a little sometimes when your son does things a little different, you must be smiling at his individuality! A teacher once told me at my sons middle school conference that my son was somewhat disruptive & a leader at the same time. I was a little bit bewildered at this statement. She explained that he was not a bad kid & that all leaders are disruptive &that he was a great kid! She assured me she had no worries that he would be a success. She was correct! He became a state champion wrestler & traveled with team Michigan. Wrestle in Junior Nationals as a Junior Olympian. When he was in college he also went to Second City for a year & became good friends with & acted with people that are on television today as comedians. He graduated from college & became an accomplished salesman. He is an awesome husband & father of 2. So from a mother of a son that has 1. A sense of humor 2. Confidence 3. An affinity for for all things fun & 4. A mother that appreciates & loves him through & through, enjoy your ride because he will do great things & you won’t be disappointed!! Hugs, Linda

35. Lisa says:

Love it!!! I would proudly buy the packet and display the picture. Love kids with moxy and individuality! Good job on raising him to be confident and proud.

Please leave a comment - I love to hear from you!